Request A Consultation
We will walk you through the process.
Hackensack, New Jersey Adoptions Lawyers
Welcoming a child into your home is a wonderful, rewarding way to expand your family and share your love. Of course, you must comply with certain legal requirements to ensure the process is complete under Hackensack, New Jersey law. Mistakes or omissions can be costly, especially if they lead to disputes or litigation over your rights and your child’s well-being.
When you work with the adoption lawyers at Giro Attorneys at Law, LLC, you get peace of mind knowing your case is in good hands. We provide trusted, compassionate counsel to families throughout Bergen County, Hackensack, New Jersey and the surrounding area, and we bring significant experience to the table. Our attorneys know that we serve our clients best when we get to know you and your unique circumstances, so we can identify exactly where and how to effectively represent your interests in adoption matters.
Guiding You Through the Complex Adoption Process
Every adoption situation is different and every family is unique, but there are certain common elements for Hackensack, New Jersey adoption cases.
- You must be at least 18 years old and at least 10 years older than the child to be adopted;
- You must file a petition with supporting documentation to initiate the adoption process, and comply with timing requirements;
- If married, you must jointly file or have the written consent of your spouse to adopt;
- You must meet certain eligibility requirements under Hackensack, New Jersey law, demonstrating your fitness and suitability to be parent;
- The law requires a home study process, where an approved agency assesses your readiness, home environment, income, employment, personal situations, and other issues that impact raising a child; and,
- You must attend a hearing before a court will approve your adoption petition.
Our Lawyers Assist with All Hackensack, New Jersey Adoption Cases
We can help with the more familiar adoption scenarios, where you may work with a domestic or international agency to welcome a child or infant into your family. However, there are other situations in which an attorney can help overcome complexities, such as:
- Stepparent Adoption: This situation arises when a spouse wants to adopt a spouse’s child, but is not the biological parent. Consent of the other biological parent can be a hurdle.
- Grandparent Adoption: In some cases, grandparents may qualify to adopt their biological grandchild. The eligibility rules are complicated, so hiring an attorney is critical.
- Co-Parent Adoption: Domestic partners and parents who seek to have children through artificial reproduction may be eligible to adopt through co-parent adoption.
- Foster Care Adoption: Many foster parents find their role so enjoyable that they decide to make the arrangement permanent. A lawyer can ensure a smooth adoption process.
You can Trust a Compassionate Hackensack, New Jersey Adoptions Attorney
If you are considering adoption, you can ensure a smooth process by retaining experienced counsel as early on as possible. Our lawyers at Giro Attorneys at Law, LLC have the attention to detail necessary to ensure you meet all requirements, documentary and otherwise. Please contact our Hackensack, New Jersey office to set up a consultation to discuss your circumstances and legal options.